Hey Divas,
What do you do if you're stuck in between two choices on how you want your life to go?
I am currently struggling because I recently moved to Washington for a new college and major, but now I think I actually found another degree that I would really want to pursue.
I have always wanted to study American Indian Studies since I was in high school. So at 18 I packed up and moved to Kansas for 5 years for school. A lot of stuff happened in those years, but getting the degree wasn't one of them. I went to school for 2 years then realized I wanted to travel and live life for a while because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do anymore. I don't regret it one bit because I got to see so many places! Last summer I decided to go back to school and I applied to a school in Washington because I wanted to be on the West Coast closer to my family. I am officially here in Washington as of March, and I started classes too! I am barely about to finish my first semester, and I am liking the school and my classes, but recently I have been thinking that I should've pursued a career in journalism or media communications.. I am struggling because I just switched my major to Tribal Management.I have always been passionate about that and American Indian Studies, but what if my passion is also with writing and social media?
I have been posting on social media for fun for the past 4 years maybe, and I have always been happy having it as my hobby while studying for my degree. But recently I have been thinking about what if I were to actually study communications and journalism. I recently started this blog not too long ago, and I love it. I have loved writing and making this website. I love creating content and just being creative in general. I could really see myself thriving and loving going into this career path. I could also see myself sticking with Tribal Management, and keeping my social media as a hobby.
So basically I'm in a dilemma on what I should do? I just moved my life across states to move to Washington. Do I just leave it again? Do I switch majors? My college doesn't even offer the major I would want, so I would have to completely switch schools. Schools that are obviously more expensive than where I'm at now. I am so young, barely 24, and I know I can start over at anytime especially since I literally just started over this year. For some reason this time I feel more nervous about changing my path again and pursuing journalism and media, maybe because I'm even more passionate about it?
Anyways, if you have any advice or comments on what I should do lmk! <3
xoxo,
Indigenous Diva

Since you already changed your carrer recently, changing it so soon again might mess you up mentally so I think you shouldn't do it for the moment. What I think you try for the moment is use the knowledge you learn in tribal management and indian american studies to spread awareness about the culture and the struggles the community has via interviews with university press (if you have any), journals and websites that are interested in the matter. I think that way you can balance your interests and test what you want to do. Give yourself some time to decide, and remember you don't have to sacrifice your interests and hobbies just because of your field of studies. You can always merge things together to make something unique and beautiful. Plus it will make your portfolio stand out ;) I hope this helps <3
ReplyDeleteThank you so much! this is amazing advice! I think I'm going to do this!
DeleteHello! It took me a little over six years to get my graduate degree because I could not stop changing my major. My cousin used to say he wanted to be a professional student so he could learn forever, and I loved that! All this to say, I understand where you're coming from feeling pulled in different directions. I think American Indian Studies is a wonderful thing to pursue! I've also had the job market chew me up and spit me back out again. While you may be worrying yourself sick over what major to study, jobs are mainly looking at the fact that you finished a degree period, that you're capable of learning. I think if you continued your American Indian course of study and kept writing on the side to build of a portfolio, or like Hime said up above and try to write things for local orgs; having documentation of a skillset outshines the degree on paper, at least in my experience. I've been able to secure corporate positions with only bartending experience. You got this, have confidence in yourself!
ReplyDeletethank you so much for the advice! Both you and Hime gave such great advice! it really helped soothe my overthinking and struggle. I think I am going to give ur guy's advice a try!! <3
Deleteif ur school offers it you could always look into double majoring and try both for a bit and then if u decide you like one more you can drop the other one! but that way you won't have to completely switch and regret it
ReplyDeleteHey girl! I went through the same thing at 24 and my best advice to you is this: don't switch. Complete school, get a degree, and then pursue what you want to pursue. 8/10 time jobs want determination, grit and willingness to learn. And if you can provide that on your resume i.e doing social media fellowships, volunteering in a social media capacity, or even heck this blog! Companies/employers will appreciate that more than if you learned it in school or not. It is what you do with your time that shows what you want. Where you spend your time out of school hours is just as important. (For some ethos, I was a graphic design major all four years, found a job, absolutely hated it, and now I am applying to law school this fall because I love to read and write:) Hope this helps! sending love <3
ReplyDelete