WHAT'S NEW?

New witchy blog post posted!🕯️💜 I added a section where I list some substack articles I've read! Pear phone code added to my blog code page!🌟 right here.

Wednesday, September 16, 2026

The season of the deer

 Hey Divas,

It’s the season of the deer. 


  Deer hunting has been an important part of native culture for centuries. The animal was a source of sustenance, and also apart of our traditions. When hunting the deer you try and utilize the entire animal, so nothing will go to waste. This means, you can use the meat, hide, antlers, and the bones of the animal. 


  My family is a big deer hunting family. It is basically a right of passage to get to go hunting with my grandpa and uncles. I have personally never been hunting yet, but I would like to eventually. My mother is mostly the one in the family who makes jewelry and regalia with the deer. I am very blessed to have such a resourceful family. So, many people in my tribe also hunt. During, deer hunting season you always see everyone post pictures with their deer. 


Deer plays a big part in my tribes culture. We use many parts of the animal to make pieces for our traditional regalia. In ceremony we have men deer dancers who wear the antlers, and hide as their regalia. The women also can use it as a breechcloth, along with other animal furs.


Here are some ways to use the deer:


Meat- my family uses deer meat in meals, and also makes deer jerky


The hide- We use the hide as clothing or also shelter. Many of our traditional regalia uses leather or deer hide.


Antlers- Many people keep the antlers as decor, but if they truly use them they can be made into many things. A way my family uses them is to make them into jewelry and accessories. 


Hooves- The hooves can be used as an instrument. So many different tribes use the hooves to make a deer hoof rattle.


Bones- The bones of the deer is the most versatile part of the animal. It can be made into so many things. For example, tools, hair combs, hair pins, dice, knifes, and so many more items. 


 In the past, native people truly found every way to utilize the deer.


Writing this made me miss my family and home! <3 Enjoy this collage of my family and deer season! 


xoxo,


Indigenous Diva


4 comments:

  1. this is soo cool, especially the hooves getting turned into instruments! my dad goes deer hunting and i lovee when we get deer jerky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay I'm glad someone else has a family that hunts & eats deer jerky!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello indigenous diva! This was super interesting to read—I live in an area that is festering with an uncontrolled deer population, so it was v cool to learn about all the ways that indigenous people can use deer. I tried deer meat once at it was pretty tasty, too. Happy deer season!

    ReplyDelete

Practical Magic

Hey Divas,   I recently watched Practical Magic 1 & 2 for the first time! I literally don't know why it has taken me so long to watc...